Saturday, March 26, 2016

A Change In Plans: Genre

As I've worked through the process I realized that I didn't quite nail the genre. I originally claimed my film to be a drama, but upon reflection, I would say it is a fantasy/drama. Why the change? Well, some of the aspects of my film aren't truly realistic. In my previous post I talked about the premise of my film. One of the main plot points is the main character discovering that beyond her quaint, suburban town lies absolutely nothing. Beyond the town the Earth is unmarked by man, her town being the only source of life. Now you can probably see why this isn't exactly realistic. Actually, in reality, there are few parts of the world untouched by mankind.

The main reason I made it a drama/fantasy and not just a straight fantasy was because I wanted the film to focus more on the main character and her developments throughout the film rather than focus on the fantastical aspects.

Some examples of fantasy/drama films include:

Big Fish
The story follows Will, who attempts to understand the truth behind his dying fathers tall tales. The film brilliantly combines fantasy into reality, weaving them together in a believable way. The film, like mine has elements of fantasy mixed with real life situations and problems.



The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The film is about a man named Benjamin Button who ages backwards. The film presents this bizarre feature in a very realistic way. This film leans a little more drama than fantasy, like how I imagine my film to be.








Sources:
Big Fish. Dir. Tim Burton. Perf. Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney. Columbia Pictures Production, 2003.
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/bigfish/index.html
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Dir. David Fincher. Perf. Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. Warner Bros., 2008.
https://www.facebook.com/BenjaminButtonMovie

No comments:

Post a Comment