Saturday, March 19, 2016

My Inspiration: Wes Anderson

For the style of my film I was greatly inspired by Wes Anderson, a critically acclaimed creator and film maker. Some of his most notable films include Moonrise Kingdom, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I will admit, his films aren't for everyone. You either love him or you hate him. Personally,  I have been a long time fan of his work. There is something about his films that are so intriguing and unique. His style is easily identifiable with his robotic movements and quirky aesthetic.

The opening scene to Moonrise Kingdom is the perfect way to introduce Wes Anderson to those who have never seen any of his films.

This opening has very few cuts and utilizes stable, geometric movements. It is the robotic movements that I find very unique. My goal is to successfully incorporate it into my own film opening.

The way I plan to achieve this is with use of a camera dolly. This will help me achieve the fluidity I'm looking for. I also recently viewed a video documenting the creation of the hotel featured in The Grand Budapest Hotel. Within the video you can see the use of several dollies used to film the movie. Although I don't have access to a camera dolly or track, I'm sure I can think of something to create the same effect.

Sources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ux1RSaeKQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMfEKELveQ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_dolly
Moonrise Kingdom. Dir. Wes Anderson. Perf. Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward. Indian Paintbrush, 2012.
The Grand Budapest Hotel. Dir. Wes Anderson. Perf. Ralph Finnes and F. Murray Abraham. Fox Searchlight Pictures, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment