Wednesday, March 9, 2016

And So It Begins...

For this portfolio project I must create a two minute film opening using all the knowledge that I have learned throughout the AICE Media Studies course. Sounds easy enough right? Well, it is actually a bit more complicated. Within two minutes I must create a story, introduce characters, introduce setting, establish tone, and possible establish conflict. Now that sounds a bit more complex. My job as a creator is to capture the audiences attention and make them feel something. Whether it makes them happy, sad, or even uncomfortable.

I recently viewed a Ted Talk in which filmmaker Andrew Stanton breaks down the art of storytelling. A good story doesn't just tell the audience whats happening, they lets them figure it out for themselves. I also read about what makes a good story. The information was originally intended for writers, but I feel like it applies to film as well as all methods of story telling. There are generic rules for things like the structure of a story. You might remember this structure from your middle school english class: setting, characters, plot, rising action, climax, falling action, and conclusion. That structure is pretty basic and simple though. Stories are far more complex but that just dumbs it all down.

This project allows me complete freedom to create anything I can possibly imagine. Although the realm of possibility is a bit constricted because I am an amateur and this is a process that is entirely new to me, I am prepared to give it my all. In order to learn and improve it is going to be a lot of trial and error. Some things are going to work and some things might fail miserably, but that is just how life goes.

Within the current school system you rarely get an opportunity like this to create something you want to create. Projects either tell you exactly what you must do or give you few options. I am prepared to take the freedom I was given and turn it into something I can be proud to call my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment