Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Art of the Storyboard

One of the most helpful tools used when creating a film is a storyboard. A storyboard acts as a guideline of the production. They let you know what needs to be filmed and how. It is the perfect way to translate your thoughts before going to film.

When I was beginning my storyboards I was self conscious about my art skills. I wouldn't say I'm a horrible artist, but I'm also not the best. When conducting my research I looked at storyboards from popular films. Upon looking at them I began to panic. There was no way mine were ever going to look as good as those. I them stumbled across something that calmed my nerves. It was a video how to create storyboards, even if you can't draw! This video restored my hope for my own storyboard.

Now it was time to create my storyboard. What was important wasn't my art skills, but my ability to interpret my drawings (I even added notes for extra clarity). Creating the storyboard proved to be more challenging than I anticipated though. I didn't anticipate to difficulty of translating my wild thoughts into legible drawings. I knew what I wanted to do, just not how to show it. Eventually I figured it out and was able to piece together my film opening together. Here is the first nine shots of my opening.


Under (or above) each box I included a short description of the type of shot or any movement so that when I go to film I will know exactly what needs to be done. Also the little scribbles on the first 6 squares symbolize text that I will add in later. Now I understand this isn't my complete storyboard, but I wouldn't want to give the entire opening away. I'm excited to get filming!

Sources:
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/12/sketching-out-psycho-production-storyboards-from-15-beloved-films/265785/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux_Em1lVsjI

No comments:

Post a Comment